Hosting a J-1 Scholar

KSU is committed to the Exchange Visitor Program through activities that encourage foreign professors, research scholars, short-term scholars, specialists, degree and non-degree seeking students to visit the campus, and through reciprocal exchange programs with KSU faculty and students. KSU actively collaborates with partner institutions to facilitate semester and yearlong exchanges. Presently KSU facilitates student and scholar exchange programs in ten different countries: Belize, Canada, France, Germany, Ghana, Japan, South Africa, South Korea, Spain and the United Kingdom.

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) was developed by the Department of State (DOS) in 1961 to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges. J-1 scholars are non-immigrants pursuing a specific program objective at academic institutions in the U.S., as designated by the Department of State. J-1 Exchange Visitors at KSU are categorized as research scholars, professors, short-term scholars, or specialists.

Steps for Hosting Visiting Scholars
To ensure that visiting scholars are properly supported and have a smooth transition to campus at KSU it is crucial that all request and necessary documents are submitted in a timely manner to ensure that the Exchange Visitor will be able to begin their program on the proposed start date.  

The following documents will aid KSU departments in the process of hosting visiting scholars:


Housing Disclaimer
The Division of Global Affairs facilitates limited campus housing to accommodate visiting international scholars. Visiting scholars who stay in such housing are required to pay "Fair Market Value" for their lodging or the value of the housing must be calculated into their compensation structure for their stay on campus.  
Scholars who are participating in a DGA-approved reciprocal exchange program may not be required to pay for their lodging – or may only be required to pay for a portion of their lodging – if their institution provides reciprocal lodging accommodations to KSU faculty visiting the partner institution.