What is the mission of the IEP?

FAQThe mission of the Intensive English Program (IEP) at Kennesaw State University is to provide intensive English classes for non-native speakers of English that facilitate successful language acquisition.  The IEP uses many resources to enhance students’ understanding, acquisition, and performance of the skills necessary for success in an English-speaking academic environment.  It also serves professionals who seek to improve their English proficiency so that they can live and work in an English-speaking environment.  The program and curriculum are designed to enhance the four language skills: listening, speaking, reading, and writing.  This is accomplished through intensive and interactive classes that focus primarily on English acquisition and secondarily on cultural and academic knowledge.  Knowing that successful language competency is assessed and fostered by an individual’s performance beyond the classroom, faculty and staff offer activities and support services to build students’ confidence and proficiency with living and working in an English-speaking environment.  The IEP strives to be a welcoming place where language and the exchange of ideas and cultures is expected and encouraged.    

Applications and Immigration:      

How do I apply to the IEP?

You may apply online, or print the application and mail or fax it. Visit the Application Page for application requirements. You can also pay tuition and fees online.

Do you provide I-20s?

Yes, the Intensive English Program Center at KSU is authorized to provide I-20s to international students who wish to come to study English on an F1 visa.

How long will it take to receive my I-20?

Once we have received your application and required documents, an I-20 typically takes 1-2 days to process. We can then mail you the I-20 with your acceptance letter. If you are outside of the U.S., please allow about 2-3 weeks from the date the I-20 was shipped to the day it arrives.

Can minors (persons under 18 years of age) attend the IEP?

Minors may attend the program but need the permission of the IEP Director. Applications from minors are decided on a case by case basis.

Can I transfer to Kennesaw State University's IEP from another language school?

Yes. You will need to apply to our program and also give the SEVIS Transfer Form to your current school. Other necessary documentation can be found on our application page.

Does admission to the IEP mean that I am accepted to KSU?

No, students who are seeking admission to a degree program at KSU must apply for that program and meet all requirements for admittance to KSU.  All ESL students must meet English proficiency requirements in order to apply at KSU. The Office of Admissions accepts the TOEFL, IELTS , or certification that you have successfully complete Level 6 of the IEP. Learn more about the TOEFL test. Please note that the KSU requires a certain level of proficiency before they will consider your undergraduate or graduate application. You can check with the Office of Global Admissions once your English skills are at a level that you can take classes.

Do I need to take a placement test?

Yes. The IEP placement test is required before we can place you in a level of study. The placement test is given at orientation the week before the program begins. All new students are required to attend this orientation.

Classes and Schedule

How long are classes?

Core curriculum classes meet for 1.5 hours two days a week, except for Grammar in Levels 3 and 4, which meet for a total of 6 hours per week. Elective classes are offered on Fridays for varying hours. Please consult the schedule for class times and hours.

Can I study part-time at the IEP?

F-1 visa students must study full-time. Permanent residents, B-2 visa and other visa holders are welcome to come part-time and take one, two, three, four, or five classes. 

If I have a grievance, what do I do?

  • If a student has any academic or personal issue with a teacher, the student is encouraged to speak to the teacher.  If the student feels as though the issue has not been resolved, he/she should speak to the Director of the IEP.

  • If the student has any issue relating to his/her I-20 status, the student should be speak to the Academic Coordinator or the Director of the IEP.  Before a student’s I-20 is terminated, the student may appeal in writing to the Director before a final decision is made.

  • If a student is dissatisfied with his/her level, the student may appeal in writing during the first week and a committee of teachers will review the appeal.

  • If a student is dismissed from the program for disciplinary reasons, he or she may appeal the decision in writing.  A committee of teachers from the IEP will decide on the appeal.

  • If a student is not satisfied with the answers or appeal decision from the IEP Director, he or she may appeal to the Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences for Kennesaw State University.


Where should I live?

The Intensive English Program is currently not offering on-campus housing for the 2017-2018 academic school year. 

Some students choose to live with family or friends in the area, or to find their own housing and transportation.

Students may choose to live with a host family. Three local homestay organizations are the American Homestay Network , Atlanta Homestays and Mark's Homestay. If they wish to live with a host family, students are responsible for contacting the homestay organization and arranging their housing through that program.


What kind of insurance does an F-1 visa student need to study at the IEP?

The government requires that all F-1 visa students have health insurance during their stay in the U.S. This health insurance must cover medical evacuation and repatriation. Students are welcome to use their insurance from their home country, or to find the proper insurance once they enter the U.S. They are, however, required to show proof of proper health insurance before classes begin. KSU and the IEP can also assist students in obtaining insurance. 

Refund Policy

If I determine I need to drop from the program for any reason, can I get a refund?

Current IEP policy is that students may receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees before the start of classes, a 80% refund of tuition and fees during the first and second weeks of class, and a 50% refund during the third and fourth week of class. No refunds will be given after the fourth week of classes. If an F1 visa student drops any courses, they are required to leave the country. No refunds will be given for application fees.

Jobs and Volunteering

Are there any opportunities for me to practice my English and connect with the community outside the classroom?

Kennesaw State University offers its students access to a network of volunteer organizations. We encourage our students to participate in these volunteering projects in order to practice English while helping the community. Please see the Volunteer Kennesaw website for more information.

F-1 visa students may look for a part-time jobs on campus that are not reserved for students taking credit-bearing courses. Students are responsible for looking for jobs. You may find some jobs at the Campus Food Services website.

Any student (part-time or full-time) is welcome to apply for temporary jobs through Human Resources. 

Current Students

What are the IEP policies? Do you have a handbook?

The IEP policies can be found in the student handbook you received at orientation. For your convenience, you can also view the online student handbook.