Employment in F-1 Status
F-1 International Students
You are eligible for on-campus employment and certain approved off-campus employment.
Please review this helpful “Guide To Hiring International Students” prepared by NAFSA: Association of International Educators
Important Note for F-1 Students Seeking Employment
- Never accept or work off-campus employment without authorization through the SEVIS Compliance
Office in advance.
- TPS (Temporary Protected Status) work authorization may be seen as a violation of
nonimmigrant status. Advising on TPS should be handled by an experienced immigration
- International students should not plan to meet their educational or personal living expenses through employment wages in the U.S. As an F-1 or J-1 student, you were required to demonstrate sufficient financial resources at the time of application for admission to cover your expenses.
Employment workshops are strongly suggested for all international students interested in off-campus employment authorization. There is no cost for the workshops.
- We have separate workshops for CPT and OPT.
- We send out emails advertising the workshops usually 1-3 weeks in advance of the workshop
- If you would like to attend a CPT or OPT workshop but are not sure about the dates, please contact the SEVIS Compliance Office via email at SEVIS@kennesaw.edu
For more information about F-1 employment authorizations and Social Security numbers (SSN), please click the links below:
- On-campus work authorization
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Obtaining a Social Security Number