Nominate a Country
KSU faculty can nominate a country from the European region to be the focus of the
2020-2021 Annual Country Study Program. Nomination deadline is January 26, 2018 at 11:59 am.
Annual Country Study Program
The award-winning Annual Country Study Program takes a wide-ranging look at a specific country or region over the course of a full academic year with a series of lectures, performances, exhibits, and films, using a multidisciplinary approach to examine the country or region from its earliest history through present-day. The program offers a unique opportunity for our campus and community to develop a rich, complex understanding of the area under study, to break down stereotypes and build connections across cultures, with an emphasis on student learning, faculty development, and community engagement. In a typical four years of study at KSU, undergraduates have the opportunity to learn in-depth about four different countries in four different regions of the world. The program is one of our most successful efforts for internationalizing the campus. Annually, it results in the creation of new courses and curriculum, research projects, education abroad programs, and global partnerships.
KSU’s Annual Country Study Program began in 1984. All events are free and open to the public, with attendance at program events averaging over 1,500 each year. The program also works with local school districts to provide professional development opportunities and staff development units to area teachers.
Components of the Annual Country Study include:
- Extensive involvement of local and international community partners, including consular officials, business leaders, and expatriates
- A weekly lecture series by both national and international experts in the country or region of study
- A film series featuring films both from and about the country or region of study
- Numerous performances and exhibits featuring the country or region’s artists
- Special courses as well as faculty and student learning communities
- An international academic conference hosted on the KSU campus
- A special issue of the Journal of Global Initiatives
Upcoming Year Of Programs
2018-2019: Year Of Morocco (Faculty Learning Community)
2019-2020: Year of Cuba (Now accepting applications for the Faculty Learning Community)