Call for Papers
Envisioning the Future and Understanding the Realities of India’s Urban Ecologies
An Interdisciplinary Conference hosted by Kennesaw State University in conjunction with our 'Year of India' program and in collaboration with Georgia State University's Urban Studies Institute and the Consulate of India, Atlanta.
March 15 - 17, 2018
India, a land of ancient wisdom and cultural world heritage, is home to the world’s
cities. In the last twenty years it has experienced unprecedented growth, development, and change, altering its physical, cultural, and social landscape with dramatic effect. Today, its cities embody a paradoxical mix of globalization, modernity, and advanced technology with regionalism, tradition, and religion, juxtaposed with extreme poverty and
Sustainability, in all its facets has emerged as a key problem in India’s development story. Urbanization is not an independent variable of development, but an integral part and product of the development process itself. Therefore, there is a need to understand urban issues as part of a larger development process affecting both rural and urban communities and livelihoods, employing historical and contemporary perspectives (with regional and global implications).
Building off research in the fields of Sociology, Biology, and Architecture, the conference will examine contemporary urban growth in India and its effects on the everyday ecologies of its people. Our goal is a more holistic understanding of India’s urban ecologies, their interdependence, and the need for more sustainable strategies for urbanization. India’s cities can provide applicable lessons to the more global concerns of urbanization around the world.
Potential topics include:
- Is there a distinctly ‘Indian’ Urbanism?
- Rural Urbanization and Urban Planning
- Balancing Growth and Development
- Colonial and Postcolonial Cities
- Dispersed Cities
- Infrastructure and Innovation in Historic Cities
- Global/Smart City Development in India and its Implications
- E-governance and Technology
- Green Cities and Sustainability
- Current Trends, Future Projections, and Key Challenges for Sustainability
- Inclusive Growth: Slums, Urban Villages, and the Challenge of Urbanism
- Value Struggles: Waste, Work and Ecology
- Agrarian Crisis and Land Acquisition
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Social Entrepreneurship
- Impacts of Urbanization on the Environment
- Urban Health, Wellness and Quality of Life
- Global Warming, Climate Change, Environmental Degradation and Re-emerging Diseases
- Infrastructure & Industrialization: Impact on Air, Water, Sanitation & Pollution
Guidelines for Submissions of Papers
To participate, please submit papers of no more than 5,000 words. The entire paper submission (title page, abstract, main text, figures, graphs, tables, references, etc.) must be in ONE document created in either Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx), or Rich Text Format (.rtf).
Please include your name, institutional affiliation, position or title, contact phone number, and e-mail. If you wish to propose a panel, please submit the names and institutional affiliation of all panelists.
Attach the document to an email message. Type “Year of India Conference” in the subject line and send it to Dan Paracka at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submission of proposed papers is October 16th, 2017. Select papers will be eligible for publication in a special issue of KSU's peer-reviewed Journal of Global Initiatives focused on india.