The following is a list of items that YSEALI participants should make sure they have packed to ensure their experience in the United States goes as smoothly as possible.
Please note that participants will arrive on Wednesday, February 1st and depart for a weekend trip to Selma and Birmingham, Alabama on the evening of Friday, February 3rd. You will return to Kennesaw on Sunday, February 5th for the rest of the academic residency on KSU’s campus.
Participants will check out of their hotel rooms for this weekend trip. You should be mindful when packing for your trip to the U.S. and unpacking for your first two-night stay in Kennesaw from Wednesday, February 1st to Friday, February 3rd to ensure that it is easy for you to pack only a small bag and store the rest of your belongings in the Kennesaw hotel’s luggage storage area for the weekend trip to Selma and Birmingham, AL.
See the full packing list below:
- Passport and visa
- At least one form of personal identification
- SEVIS Forms
- State Department documents verifying your participation in YSEALI Institute
- Most events will be casual dress. It will be winter in Atlanta when you
arrive, with temperatures ranging between 0°C to 14°C in February and early March. It may rain or snow, and will likely be windy on some days. Bring layers of clothing, a warm coat, a hat, and gloves. You will be responsible for your own laundry, so bring fabrics that can be washed in U.S. machines.
- Bring comfortable walking shoes, as walking will be your main mode of
transportation to and from class, as well as in and around the immediate
- Bring at least one formal outfit (suit or dress) and one business casual
outfit. The opening dinner and closing luncheon will be formal events, and
there will also be some visits with officials.
- Bring power adaptors for your electronic devices. Remember that the U.S.
runs on alternating current, 60 cycles, 110 volts. If you are unable to
purchase an adaptor prior to your arrival, Institute staff will assist you
with getting to a store to purchase one. However, it is easiest if you are
able to come with one.
- You will have an iPad for use during your stay at KSU. You are not
required to bring your own laptop or tablet.
- Keep your medicine with you on the plane if possible. Bring enough
medicine for your stay. It may not be available in the U.S. without a
prescription from a U.S. doctor.