Distinguished UN-SDG Ambassadors
The Distinguished UN-SDG Ambassador programfosters youth leadership and gives students the opportunity to assist in the promotion of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within the University community and beyond. Through this program, selected students will have the opportunity to gain knowledge of 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, learn how to successfully implement the goals in their communities, and create dynamic SDG focused action plans to address the needs of their fellow students, staff, and faculty.
CIFAL Atlanta is partnering with the Center for African and African Diaspora Studies (CAADS) to select 12-20 students to participate in a competitive opportunity to develop campus-focused sustainable development action plans that could be implemented at the university or in our local communities.
*The Deadline for the Spring 2020 Cohort has closed.*
Distinguished UN-SDG Ambassadors Program is designed to:
- Develop young leaders to assist in the promotion of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within the University community and beyond.
- Provide students with the opportunity to enhance SDG knowledge in the community through presentations in classes and during Registered Student Organizations (RSO) meetings.
- Create formidable speakers and with impressive presentation skills on the UN SDGs
To achieve this, Ambassadors will:
- Go through an intensive training on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development to learn how to successfully implement the goals in their communities and around the world
- Be equipped with the knowledge and skills to develop lasting impacts on the Kennesaw State’s campus
- Focus on the development of programs that are deemed necessary for our campus community
- Create dynamic SDG focused action plans which can be implemented to address the needs of their fellow students, staff, and faculty.
To be eligible for the Distinguished UN-SDG Ambassadors Program students must:
- Have a 3.0 GPA
- Submit a Resume
- Submit your Spring 2020 Class Schedule (Work Schedule, if applicable)
- Must be available on Fridays from 3:00p.m.-5:00p.m
- Submit a maximum 500-word Essay addressing the following two questions:
- What does Sustainable Development mean to you?
- What issues have you observed on campus or in your local communities that relate to Sustainable Development and how do you envision yourself addressing those issues?
Members of the Committee will evaluate each applicant based on the following criteria: Academic performance, Previous Leadership, Leadership Potential, Community Service/Extracurricular Involvement, Communication skills, & Basic Sustainable Development Knowledge.
Members of the Committee include campus experts on the UN SDGs and sustainability.
Students who are accepted for the Distinguished UN-SDG Ambassadors Program are required to:
- Conduct at least two 15-30 minute SDG presentations a month
- Commit 15-20 hours a month
- Volunteer for atleast 3 CIFAL Atlanta and/or CAADS events in the Spring Semester
- Develop an action plan with 1-2 other ambassadors over the course of the program
At the completion of the program, each ambassador will present their action plans to the committee for evaluation. One plan will be chosen by the committee to be implemented in the upcoming Fall semester and the members of the student team will receive an academic cash award. Additional individual cash awards will be given to ambassadors on any team who have demonstrated the highest leadership skills during the program and/or have impacted the most KSU community members. Each participant in the program will also receive a certification of completion from CIFAL Atlanta and the United Nations Institute of Training and Research (UNITAR).
Total Award - $2,000
Award NameAward Amount
Best Action Plan - Group Will Split Award$1,000
Most Outreach/Impact - 2 Students$600
Leadership Award - Group Vote$400
The application for the UN-SDG Ambassador Program is currently closed. Details on the upcoming cohort will be available soon.
2020 Distinguished UN-SDG Ambassador Award Recipients
Category: Best Action Plan
Winner: Ian McDonald and Ryan Moran
Category: Leadership Award
Winner: Allison Yates
Category: Outreach/Impact Award
Winner: Sanjoosh Akkineni and Marisol Mendez - Vasquez
Meet the Spring 2020 Ambassadors UN-SDG Ambassador Action Plans Plastic Free KSU