Finance Resources & Training



Education Abroad Finance Training

All faculty and staff participating on education abroad programs must complete this mandatory training prior to any invoices being paid for your program. Training completion ensures that you are informed and are prepared to adhere to KSU and BOR travel policies.

Training Deadlines:

  • Fall Programs: June 1
  • Spring Programs: November 1
  • Summer Programs: January 1


Finance Training

 Faculty-Led Program Finance Timeline

To stay on track and prevent financial delays for you or your vendors, click on the timeline below to see what actions you should be taking and when. 

Finance Timeline


 Concur Travel Management System

All faculty and staff participating on education abroad programs will utilize the Concur Travel Management System to manage their travel related requests.  This includes all travel requests, cash advance requests and expense reconciliations.  Paper submissions will no longer be accepted.

To Access Concur


  • All KSU faculty and staff participating on an education abroad program must submit a travel request through Concur. Travel requests must include all required information prior to being approved.  When preparing to submit your request, please ensure that you have the following information on hand:

    1. Trip start and end dates
    2. Purpose of trip
    3. Speedchart/program account number 
    4. Estimated expenses for faculty and students (if applicable)
      • Categories include airfare, lodging, rental car, per diem, and miscellaneous.
      • If you are a program director, your travel request should include student expenses. For example, total lodging for both you and the students. 
      • If you are a participating faculty or staff, your travel request should ONLY include your expenses.  

    Travel requests must be submitted and fully approved before invoices or reimbursements can be processed. Travel bookings should also not be made until your travel request is approved.

    How to Create a Travel Request Video 

    For instructions on how to create a Travel Request click HERE

  • After your travel request is approved, you can proceed with utilizing the online booking tool, if applicable.  Please refer to the following links for assistance with booking airfare, hotels, or car rentals through the system:

  • Combining business and personal travel is allowable, if the personal travel does not cause the University additional cost. Cost comparisons should be done at the time of booking. A search should be done in Concur for the business travel only. Screenshots or printouts of these pages must be kept as documentation of the cost. The cost comparison should be attached to the travel request. Personal travel also requires written pre-approval from your supervisor. Travel arrangements must be made to accommodate the business duties of the traveler and not personal preference. Rental vehicles may only be used for official State business. The state liability policy is only in effect while the employee is using the rented vehicle for official State business. Friends, family members or pets are prohibited from riding in a State rented vehicle.

  • A cash advance request should be submitted to cover items that you were unable to prepay and must be resolved in country.  This amount should be based off of the program budget and can also include items such as per diem and transportation. 

    Cash advances are not disbursed until 7-10 days before program departure. The Office of Fiscal Services must have your Supplier Authorization/Registration form on file in order for a cash advance to be disbursed.

    Prior to submitting your cash advance request, complete the information below to let us know what amount you plan on requesting.  Your program funds will be reviewed to confirm that the requested funds are available. 


    For instructions on how to create a Cash Advance Request click HERE

    State policy requires that all travel expenses are reconciled within 45 days of the program return. Expenses not reconciled within 60 days may be reported on your W-9 as taxable income. Cash advances outstanding more than 120 days are subject to payroll deduction.

  • Within three weeks of your return to campus, you are required to submit an expense statement to reconcile an outstanding cash advance or request reimbursement for program related expenses.

    • Upon review, if there is an issue with the information submitted, the faculty/staff will be contacted to request additional information or obtain clarification on the documentation submitted.
    • Individuals with cash advance funds to return will be notified by Travel of the exact amount that needs to be returned and how to return the funds.

    For questions about your travel expense statement or reimbursement, contact your Education Abroad Program Accountant. 



 Available Education Abroad Finance Trainings

    • Date
    • December 4, 2019
      9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
      TP 1600
    • January 15, 2020
      9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
      B 027
    • February 19, 2020
      9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
      TP 4130


    • Date
    • January 8, 2020
      9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
      TP 1600
    • February 12, 2020
      9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
      B 027
    • March 11, 2020
      9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
      TP 1600
    • April 2, 2020
      9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
      TP 1600


    • Date
    • October 29, 2019
      9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
      CL 2005
    • January 29, 2020
      9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
      PS 243
    • April 29, 2020
      9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
      PS 243

    To sign-up for an Education Abroad Concur Session, click HERE to reserve your spot. If you are unable to attend these trainings, please visit the Concur Drop-In Sessions schedule offered by the Office of Fiscal Services.


 Business Processes

  • After your education abroad program proposal has been reviewed and approved and you need to make changes to your budget, all changes and corresponding vendor quotes need to be submitted for review.

    Updates include but are not limited to the following:

    • Changes in pre-quoted items
    • Addition/removal of an activity or expense
    • Adjustment to student/faculty participants

    All updated budgets and supporting documentation should be emailed to 

  • All Supplier Registration forms for vendors must be submitted and approved before any payments can be processed. 

    International vendors will also have to complete Form W-8BEN (individuals) or Form W-8BEN-E (entity).

    For more information on the vendor registration process click HERE.

    For vendor registration inquiries call 470-578-4967.

  • All education abroad programs that intend to enter into a contractual agreement with a vendor must receive prior approval from the KSU Contract Review Team. This process must be followed regardless of:

    • monetary value is included or not
    • the funding source
    • vendor that you’ve previously worked with

    Program invoices cannot be paid if there is a corresponding contract that is not approved, therefore the Education Abroad Office helps to facilitate this process.  All unsigned contracts should be submitted using the Education Abroad Contract Submission Form. The contract will be routed through the KSU Contract Review and once the contract is approved for signatures, the program will be notified.  

    Pre-approved templates do not have to go through the Contract Review Process but must still be submitted to the Education Abroad Office for approval.  

    The Education Abroad International Service Provider Agreement Form should be used for lectures, guides and other activities that support the academic goals of the program. This should be used when the collective compensation provided by a vendor is more than $201 USD

    All contracts must be fully approved and signed before vendors can be paid. 

    Submit your unsigned contract/agreement using the Education Abroad Contract Submission Form.

  • Program invoices should be submitted using the online invoice submission form

    Invoices must be submitted on the vendor company's letterhead and must also contain the following information to be considered a valid invoice:

    • Invoice number
    • Invoice date
    • Company name and contact information
    • Itemized list of products and/or services purchased
    • Faculty and student charges must be separately stated
    • Wire transfer information for international vendors (if applicable)

    Invoices will not be submitted for processing until the following has been confirmed:

    • All vendor registration forms have been submitted
    • All Travel Requests for the program have been submitted in Concur and fully approved
    • All student payments have been confirmed

    Click here to submit your invoices.


 Frequently Asked Questions


Recent Education Abroad Operation Process Changes


  • If you are the program director, your travel request should include your travel related expenses as well as the students expenses that were included in the program budget.

    If you are a participating faculty or staff, your travel request should only include your program expenses.  

  • The Office of Fiscal Services requires all faculty and staff traveling to account for their own expenses. An employee should not incur expenses for another employee.

  • The speedchart is the account number associated with your program which allows you to make program payments.  If you are unsure about your program account information, contact your Education Abroad Program Accountant. 

  • Contact your Education Abroad Program Accountant.

  • Once you receive the invoices from your vendors, you can submit them for processing using the online invoice submission form.

  • Invoices will be processed after all participating program faculty travel requests have been approved and all students on the program have made their payments.

  • It can take 5 - 7 days for Fiscal Services to process invoices. The processing time may increase if Fiscal Services requires additional information regarding the invoice.

  • This varies depending upon the nature of the contract.  It is recommended that you submit intended contracts to the Education Abroad Office as soon as you have decided that you would like to do business with a particular vendor.

  • No.  A blank contract without signatures should be submitted to allow the Review Team to make edits/recommendations before it is approved for signatures.

  • You should request budgeted funds to cover program costs that you expect to pay in country.  This can include per diem and emergency expenses.

  • If you spend more than what is available in your program account, you will not be reimbursed for the additional expense.

  • Within 14 days of your program return. Expense reports that include cash advance funds should be reconciled within 45 days of the program return.  Expenses not reconciled within 60 days may be reported on your W-9 as taxable income. Cash advances outstanding more than 120 days are subject to payroll deduction.

 Finance Documents