Below you will find answers to common questions students often have about the education abroad process.

Choosing a Program/The Application Process

Eligibility Requirements


Costs/Financial Aid


Choosing a Program/The Application Process

Q: Why should I participate in an education abroad program?

A: Education abroad programs can help you grow personally, academically, and professionally. Here are some key benefits of participating in an education abroad program as described by NAFSA: Association for International Educators:

  • Enhance Your Global Awareness: You can enhance your awareness of the world around you by studying abroad. To be an educated citizen today requires students to able to see the world through others' eyes and to understand the international dimensions of the problems we confront as a nation, skills that are enhanced by an education abroad experience.

  • Enhance Your Academic Learning: You can help enhance your academic learning by studying abroad. A study abroad experience will introduce you to new professors who can expose you to new viewpoints beyond your campus, and a diverse student body that can introduce you to different customs and cultures. A study abroad experience also lets you expand your academic learning outside of the classroom, because you live what you are learning.

  • Develop Your Leadership Skills: You can strengthen your leadership skills by studying abroad. An educational opportunity outside the United States can be among the most valuable tools for preparing a student to participate and lead effectively in an increasingly interconnected international community that demands cross-cultural skills and knowledge.

  • Advance Your Career: You can help advance your career by studying abroad. In today's increasingly global society, obtaining international skills and knowledge can make you more marketable in getting a job and more productive once you're in the job.

  • Experience Personal Growth: You can experience significant personal growth by studying abroad. Students who study abroad discover that in the process of learning about other countries and cultures they end up learning more about themselves in ways that simply cannot be replicated in the comforting and familiar confines of an American campus.
  • Learn Another Language: Students can better learn another language by studying abroad. Immersion in another language through study abroad is one of the best ways to gain proficiency in that language.

Q: Where can I find more information about the education abroad opportunities offered by KSU?

A: There are several ways to find out more about education abroad!

  • Explore our website
  • Attend the Education Abroad Fair: Usually held in the beginning of October, the Education Abroad Fair is an all-day event where we market all of our upcoming programs. It’s a great place to explore, ask questions, and gather information.

  • Contact us: Email educationabroad@kennesaw.edu or call 770-423-6336.

  • Visit us: The Education Abroad Office is located in the Town Point building across from main campus. We are on the first floor, suite 1700. Walk in advising is Monday – Thursday 9am-4pm.

Q: How long can I study abroad for?

A: The length of your time abroad depends on the program you choose. We offer programs as short as one week and as long as an academic year.

Q: Can I study abroad with another university or a non-KSU program provider?

A: Yes. By participating in a non-KSU program you will become an “outgoing transient”. You still need to meet with an education abroad advisor and an academic advisor to determine how your credits will transfer back to KSU.

Q: Can I do an internship abroad?

A: Yes. The Education Abroad Office can work together with your department to help you receive credit for an internship abroad. Please contact us for more information.

Q: How do I apply?

A: Students must apply through the Education Abroad website's Search for Programs page. Find the program you wish to participate in and click “Apply Now”. In order for your application to be complete you must pay the non- refundable application fee.

Q: When is the application deadline?

A: Application deadlines vary by program and term. Start early! Generally deadlines are at least one semester before the desired program term. Individual program deadlines can be found on our website by visiting the program information page.

Eligibility Requirements

Q: Is there a minimum GPA requirement?

A: Yes. Generally a minimum 2.5 adjusted GPA (undergraduate) and a minimum 3.0 adjusted GPA (graduate) is required for KSU faculty led programs. For exchange programs the minimum GPA requirement is a 2.75 adjusted GPA (undergraduate) and 3.0 adjusted GPA (graduate). Requirements vary by program and are subject to change.

See the Education Abroad Student Eligibility Policy for more.

Q: Do I have to know how to speak a foreign language?

A: No. We offer many programs with no language requirement. In most cases courses are taught in English, even in countries where the official language is not English. There are always representatives in the host country who speak English and are available to help you. Please visit our website for language requirements for individual programs.

Q: Do I have to be a Junior or Senior to study abroad?

A: No. In order to study abroad you must have completed at least one semester at KSU and be in good academic standing. However, requirements vary by program and you must meet the pre-requisites for the courses offered.

Q: I am an international student. Can I participate in education abroad programs?

A: Yes, of course! Please keep in mind that visa requirements might be different for you depending on your home country. Additionally, restrictions may apply to students who are participating in an education abroad program in their home country.


Q: What type of academic credit can I earn?

A: There are a range of courses available through our many education abroad programs. Students can earn general education, elective or major course credit depending on the program. It is important that you speak with your academic advisor to determine how your education abroad credits will fit into your degree program.

Q: How many credit hours are available?

Amount of credit hours offered also varies by program. On average faculty led programs offer 6 credit hours. Semester long exchange programs offer an average of 12 credit hours.

Q: Will all of my coursework abroad transfer back to KSU?

A: Usually. The majority of the time you either enroll directly in KSU courses or you will complete pre-departure paperwork to ensure your credits transfer back. It is important you meet with your academic and education abroad advisor if you have questions about how your coursework will transfer back. There may be additional paperwork involved if you are participating in an exchange program or a non-KSU education abroad program.

Q: Is there a limit to the amount of credits I can earn while abroad?

A: Per KSU policy you must complete at least 30 semester hours in residence at Kennesaw State (Coles College of Business requires 33 hours). At least 20 of the last 30 semester hours preceding graduation must be earned in residence. In addition, 24 semester hours of the upper level major requirements must be earned in residence at KSU.

Costs/Financial Aid

Q: How much does it cost to participate in an education abroad program? Can I afford it?

A: Education abroad is more affordable than you think! We offer programs to fit a wide range of budgets. Cost varies by program and is determined by a number of factors including destination, and length of stay. If you would like more information on program costs please visit the individual program pages located on our website.

Program fees are exclusive of tuition. Both program fees and tuition will be billed through Owl Express.

Q: Can I use financial aid?

A: Yes! In most cases federal student aid, grants, and scholarships can be used to cover tuition and costs associated with education abroad. Some aid may depend on your coursework and it’s applicability to your degree program. It is important that you contact financial aid with any specific questions you may have.

Q: Are there any scholarships available?

A: Yes! There are several scholarships available for education abroad programs. Specifically, KSU offers the Global Learning Scholarship to all degree-seeking KSU students in good academic standing who have paid the global learning fee and are enrolled in KSU education abroad experiences. For more information about available scholarships please visit the Financial Aid and Scholarships Page.


Q: What if I want to travel before/after a program’s scheduled dates?

A: Contact the education abroad advisor for your program early in the application process to make alternate flight arrangements since the majority of the time tickets are purchased for the group and not by the individual. Your education abroad advisor can also provide you with information on how to purchase insurance for the time you are traveling outside of the program’s scheduled dates. There may also be additional paperwork needed.

Q: What will my living arrangements be?

A: Accommodations vary by program, and you can find more information on the individual program pages. Generally speaking students stay in a dormitory, apartment, hotel, or home-stay.

Q: I live in KSU housing. What should I do about my housing contract while I am abroad?

A:  The Education Abroad Office is not responsible for assisting you with negotiating the terms of your contract. Whether you live on or off campus it is your responsibility to meet with housing management to determine your options. In many cases you may be required to pay a fee to transfer your room to another student or sub-lease your room.

Q: Do I need any special vaccinations or immunizations before traveling?

A: Maybe. Vaccinations/immunizations vary by destination. For the most accurate and up to date information visit the CDC website and select your destination. You can get vaccinations/immunizations at several locations such as the KSU Health Clinic, your local health department, or your doctor.

Q: Will my health insurance cover me abroad?

A: In most cases, no. For this reason the KSU Education Abroad Office requires approved international health insurance be purchased before participating in an education abroad program. For more information on insurance requirements please contact the Education Abroad Office.

Q: How do I get a passport?

A: All students who participate in an education abroad program must have a passport which is valid for at least six months beyond the last day of their program. Processing times for new passports or passport renewals vary and can take as long as three months. For everything you need to know about getting or renewing a passport visit the Department of State's U.S. Passports and International Travel Page

Q: Do I need a visa?

A: Visa requirements vary by program and destination. For many faculty led programs your education abroad advisor will help you obtain your visa. For exchange programs, internships, and non-KSU programs it will be your responsibility to obtain your visa. For more information visit, https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel.html