Employment and Volunteering

Employment for F-1 & Other IEP Students at KSU

As an F-1 student, please keep in mind the following: 

  • You can ONLY work on campus.  
  • All on campus must be authorized thru the IEP Office and I-20 authorization is required by KSU's Human Resources office. 
  • You cannot work more than 20 hours in one week during the session. Jobs that are less than 20 hours are considered part-time jobs. 
  • You can work more than 20 hours a week during vacation periods when IEP classes are not in session. 
  • Please visit the IEP Office to find out ways that you can locate campus jobs. Keep in mind: 
    • Students are responsible for looking for jobs.
  • NEVER accept or work off-campus! This will violate the rules of your F-1 status in the Intensive English Program. 
  • Before you start working, please visit the IEP Office and speak directly with Lissa Small. Please bring all your immigration documents with you during this visit.

Any student (part-time or full-time) is welcome to apply for Staff positions through Human Resources. Please note that IEP students are not eligible for any jobs listed under the Student Assistant category. 


Kennesaw State University offers it students access to a network of volunteer organizations. We encourage students to participate in these volunteer projects in order to practice your English while helping the community. Please see the Volunteer Kennesaw website for more information. You will be asked to create a profile before you can register to volunteer. 

Benefits of Volunteering: 

  • Practice speaking English
  • Learn more about American culture and the community you are living in
  • Help make a difference in the life of someone or something
  • Examples: 
    • Walking dogs that are in an animal shelter
    • Playing games with children at a local school
    • Planting flowers in a community garden 

Resume and Cover Letters 

To apply for a job in the U.S., you typically need to submit a resume and cover letter. If you need assistance with writing a resume or cover letter for a job opportunity, please visit the IEP Office and one of our staff can assist you. Employees of the IEP Office will not write your resume or cover letter, but provide you with resources to complete this task.

Students can also schedule an appointment or walk-in to visit the KSU Writing Center. The Writing Center is located in the English Building, Room 242. Click here for more information about the Writing Center.

Social Security Information

A Social Security Number (SSN) is a 9-digit identification number, assigned by the U.S. government that is used for tax reporting purposes. It is NOT employment authorization. As an F-1 student, you are eligible for a SSN if you receive an actual job offer.

Non-U.S. Citizens are legally required to provide a U.S. SSN: 

  • For wage and tax reporting purposes
  • For tax returns with the Internal Revenue Services (IRS) 

If you desire to work in the U.S. and need hep getting a SSN, please come to the IEP office for help.


Bank Accounts

Even if you do not get a job while studying in the Intensive English Program, it is recommended to open a checking and/or saving account with a U.S. bank for easy access to your funds. There are many banks around Kennesaw and the Metro Atlanta including: 

When you open an account, you will need to bring your passport and visa. If you have another form of photo ID, bring that as well. 

It's important that you know your U.S. address. Make sure to give the bank an address where you can receive your mail since they will likely send your debit (check) card to this address. 

A debit (check) card is connected to your checking account and is used almost like a regular credit card (such as Mastercard, Visa, Barclays, etc.) except the charges are deducted from your checking account. Unlike a credit card, you will not get a separate bill at the end of the month like a credit card. Keep track of your spending since bank will charge you a fee every time you overdraw money from your account! Debit cards can also used at an ATM to withdraw money from your account. 

When you open a checking account, make sure that you have enough money available to open one. In most cases, checking accounts can be opened with as little as $25.