Insurance Requirements

As an F-1 student, you will need to ensure that your health insurance is current during the session in which you are studying. 

For example: If your insurance policy expires on April 30th, but the session ends on May 11th, you will need to renew your policy before classes begin that session. 

Understanding U.S. Health Insurance 

Medical care in the United States is very expensive and everything costs money! Having insurance will help you pay the bills. 

The insurance requirements, as set forth by the University System of Georgia, are the following1:

  • Both accident and sickness coverage

  • Minimum benefit $250,000 per policy year**

  • A deductible of $500 or less and/or co-pay per individual, per year*

  • In-patient and outpatient, mental and nervous disorder benefits

  • Prescription Drug Coverage

  • Pay benefits worldwide

  • Medical evacuation to one’s home country and family reunification of not less than $50,000*

Provision for repatriation of remains of not less than $25,000*
All Georgia mandated requirements+
1 Requirements are subject to change. Please see the USG website for up-to-date information.
*Federal Standards required for International Students
+Georgia mandates coverage for the following benefits to be paid as any other Sickness: Mammography, PAP Smears, Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) Tests, Chlamydia Screening, Mastectomy, Bone Mass Measurement, Colorectal Cancer Screening, Dental Anesthesia, Diabetes, Surveillance Tests for Ovarian Cancer, Telemedicine, Drug Treatment of Children’s Cancer, Bone Marrow Transplants, Postpartum Care, and Mental Illness.
**To meet Federal Affordable Care Act (ACA) requirements your health plan should have no annual benefit limits.
(These requirements are based on the federally mandated requirements of the ACA.)

Insurance Options 

As an IEP student, you have two options for selecting an insurance provider: 

  1. You can buy health insurance from a pre-approved plan. Please contact the IEP Office for information.
  2. Or, you can purchase insurance from another company and request approval from the IEP. Please keep in mind the requirements listed above when you are seeking an insurance policy.  

You must provide the Intensive English Program with a copy of your insurance policy, showing that it meets the requirements. 

Insurance ID Card 

Once you have purchased your health insurance, make sure to print your insurance card. Make sure to carry your insurance ID card with you. If you go to the doctor's office, clinic, or hospital, you must show them your insurance card. 

Where to Go When You Are Sick

  • Doctor's Office 

    Health Clinic 

    Urgent Care 

    Emergency Room 

  • This person might know your medical history. You can also go to a doctor's office to see a specialist (a doctor who specializes in a certain part of the body.) 

    Sometimes you will not be able to see a doctor for several days. If this is the case, please go to one of the other locations (clinic, urgent care, emergency room) for assistance. 

    If you have PGH Global insurance, please visit the link below to find a doctor that is a preferred provider

    It is recommended that you visit a health clinic when you need to get a check-up, immunizations, have a cold, the flu, and times when your injury or sickness is not very serious. 

    As a KSU student, you can visit the KSU Health Clinic. 

    The clinic is open Monday - Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm. You can reach them by calling 470-578-6644. 

    Locations on Kennesaw Campus: 

    Campus Loop Road Clinic Location: 

    House 3215 on Campus Loop Road 

    University Village Clinic Location: 

    In the University Village, across from the Gateway Store  

    For more information, please visit Student Health

    You need an urgent care for injuries and illness but NOT emergencies, such when you have a bad case of the flu and the clinic is not available or you think you broke your arm. 

    Urgent Cares are located all over Metro Atlanta.


    Go straight there if you are experiencing a medical emergency and you need SERIOUS help immediately! 

    If you can not drive yourself or have someone that can help you, call 911 and an ambulance will take you to the hospital, and you will be transported straight to the emergency room. 

    You should only go to the emergency room is you have an EMERGENCY


Successful Adjustment to the U.S.

If you ever feel stressed out, depressed, or homesick please come to the office and talk to any IEP teacher or staff member.  

It is important that if you feel stressed, depressed, or homesick, DO NOT stop going to your classes. This will make your situation even more difficult. 

Do not wait until it's too late to come and speak with someone regarding your problems. Please know that our door is always open to discuss any issues that you are experiencing inside and outside of the classroom. 

Please know that if you are feeling these emotions listed above, counseling is available through the KSU Office of Counseling and Psychological Services. Please visit the IEP Office and we can work with you to schedule an appointment to see a KSU counselor.