J-1 Visas

Kennesaw State University does not issue DS-2019s for J-1 visas for its Intensive English Program. However, if you are currently a J-1 visa holder maintaining your status in the U.S. and wish to take English language training classes for your program requirement or for recreational purposes, you may do so. 

If you are applying to study while you are in the U.S. on your J-1 visa, please submit the following: 

Course Information

Once you are admitted into the Intensive English Program, you must take a placement test before we can place you in a level of study. The placement test is given at orientation the week before the program begins. All new students are required to attend this orientation! 

Program Details for Part-Time Students 

  • Fee Description
    Class Hours 
  • Intermediate to High Advanced 
    Class Hours: 3 to 15 per week 
  • Books 
    Average cost for 1 class  
  • Parking Fee 
    Required for all those parking a car on campus (per session) 

Class Information 

  • Each session (or level) is 8 weeks. 
  • Classes are held on Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday at the following times: 8:30am-10:00am, 10:15am-11:45am, and 1:00pm-2:30pm.
  • We currently do not offer evening or weekend classes for F-1 visa students or for students that place into the Advanced levels. For more information about our evening and weekend classes, please visit the Evening and Saturday Classes page. 

Au Pair Language Requirements 

Program Details

The Intensive English Program has helped many J-1 Au Pairs meet their program's language requirements. Au Pairs may choose to attend either the core-curriculum courses or the optional Friday courses.

  • Please also note that in the Intermediate levels, each grammar course is 6 hours per week. Each course meet four times per week, either once a day (1.5 hours) for four days per week or twice per day (3.0 hours) for two days per week. 

Certification of Completion of Classroom Hours 

At the end of a session of study, the Intensive English Program can provide a certificate of completion detailing the number of class hours the student attended. Most au pairs are able to use this certificate in lieu of required credits. Kennesaw State University does not provide course credit for Intensive English Program classes. 

Please contact us (iep@kennesaw.edu or 470-578-2214) with any questions.