Frequently Asked Questions

I need help from an ISSSO staff member.  How can I get it?

Although in person advising is not available currently, international students and scholars have options to reach the advisors in our office:

  • You can still book an appointment with an ISSSO advisor here.  You and the advisor will determine whether the appointment should be on the phone or through videoconferencing.

  • Our email inbox is always open!  Please feel free to continue to contact us with questions at

How can I get a travel signature?

First, check to see if you need a travel signature.  Look at page 2 of your I-20 or page 1 of your DS-2019.  Do you have a travel signature from an ISSSO staff member?  If so, what is the date?  If you are enrolled in classes, that signature is valid for 12 months.  The signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 must be less than 12 months old when you re-enter the US.  If you are on OPT, that signature is valid for 6 months.  It must be less than 6 months old when you re-enter the US.  If you are ending your program and not returning to the US, you do not need a travel signature but please let us know if you are leaving earlier than you originally planned.

If you need a new travel signature, we can reprint your I-20 or DS-2019 and mail it to you.  If you are in the US, we can mail it for free using USPS.  If you are inside the US and would like a tracking number or if you outside the US, you will need to pay for a shipping label through eShipGlobal.  See the instructions under “Request Courier Service” at the bottom of the page here.

I have been admitted for Summer or Fall 2020.  What plans should I make?

The situation with COVID-19 is rapidly constantly changing.  Currently, there are many restrictions on travel to the US from other countries.  US consulates and embassies are modifying or suspending visa services.  The ISSSO is continuing to issue I-20s for new admits.  We encourage you to monitor the situation in your home country and the US.  If travel restrictions ease and consulates are open, getting an I-20 this spring will put you in a good position to begin the visa application process.  If there are still travel restrictions and/or visa appointments are not available, you may need to defer to a future semester.