Inviting Family Members to the U.S.

Family members other than a spouse or child wishing to visit you during your studies in the U.S. must enter either with a visitor visa (B-1/B-2) or on WB/WT status under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Spouses and children may also enter the U.S. as visitors for a short stay. However, for a longer stay, spouses or children should enter on dependent visas.

Your family member will need to check with the nearest US Consulate/Embassy as to which documents are needed and which form to use for visa application. The U.S. State Department/Bureau of Consular Affairs has additional information about applying for a visitor visa. In addition, many individual consulates will have more specific information on their websites about inviting family members to the U.S. Visit the U.S. Department of State for links to U.S. consulates around the world by going to


Please Note

There is no “immigration” documentation available from KSU for visitor visa (B-1/B-2)
applications. However, the below list of documents has been compiled as suggested evidence to support a visitor visa application. All of these items are suggestions only. They are not required and do not guarantee visa issuance.


  • Write a letter of invitation that includes the following: your name and your reason for living in the U.S., the names of your family members who wish to visit, their passport numbers, date of birth, the purpose and approximate length of the visit, and whether you will provide room and board or any other financial assistance for the visit. KSU does not have a sample letter and will not write a letter for you.

  • If you will provide room and board or any other specific expenses for their trip (such as airfare), you should supply evidence of your funding such as a bank statement or employment letter. There is no minimum dollar amount that you must reflect, but
    you should indicate an amount that is reasonable for the level of support you are providing.

    If your family members intend to cover their own expenses (flight, hotel, meals, etc.) they should provide a bank statement, employment verification letter or other evidence of their own funding.

  • Provide your family members with a copy of your status documents (but do NOT send the originals!) and other documents verifying your status in the U.S. such as passport, visa, I-20/DS-2019, I-94, official KSU transcripts, etc. Please note: It is not necessary for you to get new a visa document when inviting family members as visitors if your visa is expired.
  • Your family members must prove that they will return home after visiting the U.S. Documents showing employment, property ownership, relatives left behind, or enrollment in school (in the home country) are considered good evidence of intent to return home. This category is usually the reason for most visitor visa denials.