Off-Campus Employment

You are eligible for on-campus employment and certain approved off-campus employment.

Important Note for F-1 Students Seeking Employment

  • Never accept or work off-campus employment without authorization through the ISSSO in advance.
  • TPS (Temporary Protected Status) work authorization may be seen as a violation of nonimmigrant status. Advising on TPS should be handled by an experienced immigration attorney.
  • International students should not plan to meet their educational or personal living expenses through employment wages in the U.S.  As an F-1 or J-1 student, you were required to demonstrate sufficient financial resources at the time of application for admission to cover your expenses.

Employment Workshops

Employment workshops are strongly suggested for all international students interested in off-campus employment authorization. There is no cost for the workshops.

  • We have separate workshops for CPT and OPT.
  • We send out emails advertising the workshops usually 1-3 weeks in advance of the workshop
  • If you would like to attend a CPT or OPT workshop but are not sure about the dates, please contact the ISSSO via email at

For more information about F-1 employment authorizations and Social Security numbers (SSN), please click the links below: