On-Campus Employment

Who is Eligible?

Students who receive an I-20 from Kennesaw State University and are maintaining F-1 status at our school are eligible to work on-campus with approval from the ISSSO.

In general, there are two kinds of on-campus jobs:

  1. Kennesaw State University (graduate assistantships, student assistantships, school library, etc.)
  2. Private Vendors / Companies who provide on-campus services to students, such as the bookstore and the cafeteria.

If you have questions about any type of employment on campus, or if you are changing status to F1, or if you have lost your F1 status, ask the ISSSO first before accepting employment.



  • Submit a Social Security Support Letter request in iStart, found under F-1 Student Services. Graduate Assistants will need to upload a copy of their fully executed assistantship contract. Students with student assistant or staff positions will need to provide the contact information for their supervisor; the supervisor will be contacted for details about the employment that we will use for the support letter.

    Once you receive the support letter, you can visit the local Social Security Office with your passport, visa, I-20, I-94, and the support letter to apply for an SSN.

  • You are eligible for on-campus employment from your first semester. IMPORTANT! Before starting any employment you should come to the ISSSO to report. Don’t forget to bring your immigration documents with you.

  • You need to stop employment immediately if:

    • You have completed your program of study, or
    • You have transferred to another school, or
    • You have failed to maintain your legal F-1 status, or
    • You have let your I-20 expire, or you have changed your immigration status to a status that does not allow this type of employment.
  •  F-1 students at Kennesaw State can work part time (up to 20 hours/week) while school is in session and full time (more than 20 hours/week) during the summer and during holidays/breaks.
  •  Come to the ISSSO to discuss this with an advisor.
  • Yes, RA positions are considered on-campus employment. Based on historical precedent at KSU, the ISSSO considers RA positions to involve 12 work hours per week.
  • Yes, students may hold multiple on-campus positions. However, the hours worked per week cannot exceed 20 in the aggregate.
  • An F-1 student may participate in on-campus employment and CPT but may not exceed 20 hours of each employment type per week. The F-1 student may work full-time during those periods when school is not in session or during the student’s annual break. The F-1 student must remember that the primary purpose for being in the United States and way of maintaining status is enrollment in an SEVP-certified school. An F-1 student may not participate in OPT and on-campus employment.