Transferring to Another School
If you would like to transfer to another school in F-1 status, you will need to request that Kennesaw State University (the transfer-out school) transfers your SEVIS record to the new school (the transfer-in school). If you don’t request the SEVIS transfer, your new school will not be able to access your SEVIS record or issue you a new transfer I-20 from that school.
Please be aware:
- SEVIS records and academic records are two different and unrelated processes. Therefore, applying to a new school and being accepted does not transfer your immigration (SEVIS) records.
- If you are on OPT, your OPT will automatically end on the date your I-20 is released to the new school.
- Failure to request a transfer within the grace period will cause you to fall out of status. After losing lawful immigration status, you will have to depart and re-enter the U.S. with a “new initial” I-20 from your new school, or seek reinstatement in order to study in F-1 status at that school.
Steps to Transfer Out Your SEVIS Record
- Obtain an official letter of acceptance from the new school.
- Check to see if the new school requires you to complete a Transfer-In form.
- Determine a good transfer out date by speaking with an International Student and Scholar Services advisor.
- Complete the Transfer Out Request in iStart under F-1 Student Services, uploading the copies of the acceptance letter and transfer-in form.