International Student Health Insurance
All international students in the F and J visa categories at Kennesaw State University are required to have adequate health insurance at all times during their study in the U.S.
The University System of Georgia (USG) sponsored injury and sickness Insurance plan will be administered by UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR). The insurance plan is underwritten by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company. Students must enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through UnitedHealthcare, unless they hold insurance from their home country that meets all of the requirements for a waiver as defined below.
A helpful International Student FAQ regarding insurance can be found here. Please visit the USG website for more information on SHIP and the waivers.
To Enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan from UnitedHealthcare
- Visit https://studentcenter.uhcsr.com/kennesaw.
- You will see two options. Select "Opt In."
- Enter your Date of birth and KSU ID number, starting with the leading zeros.
- Click "Next." Please verify your information is correct.
- At the bottom of the page you will click the coverage period and elect to enroll in the insurance.
- Electronically sign and submit.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- You must complete this task every Fall and Spring semester to keep the KSU insurance.
- Once you elect to enroll in the SHIP plan for the semester, you may not request to waive it later.
To Print Insurance ID Card and Access Your Account
Once enrolled in SHIP, you may access your account to print your health insurance card, review your policy documents, or enter health insurance claims.
To access your account, go to www.uhcsr.com/kennesaw. Click the "Log into My Account" link at the top right to create your account, or, if you have already created your account, access any insurance information you may need.
International Student Waiver Standards
In order to be eligible to waive the student insurance plan, the student’s existing insurance plan must meet the following 3 requirements:
- Coverage includes effective dates spanning the entire period for which the waiver
- Fall - August 1 through December 31
- Spring - January 1 through July 31
- Plan must cover Repatriation and Medical Evacuation meeting Federal regulations (listed below), or coverage should be purchased separately to supplement the Health Plan used to waive off of the SHIP.
- If a fully insured plan, the plan must be approved as a health insurance plan by the State Insurance Department (Travel Policies, Disability policies, Hospital Indemnity, Accident Only Policies, and other limited benefit polices are not acceptable).
The existing insurance plan must also meet the requirements in either I, II, III, or IV below:
- Plan Description
- Plan is ACA compliant, meaning that the plan is an individual or group insurance plan
meeting the requirements of ACA.
- Unlimited Maximum Benefit for covered medical expenses.
- Coverage for essential benefits (with no dollar limits), as defined under the ACA.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Mental health services on parity with medical services
- Maternity benefits
- Preventive care with no cost-sharing for Preferred Providers
- Coverage for pre-existing condition with no waiting period
- Pediatric dental and vision coverage
- Maximum preferred provider total out-of-pocket expenses cannot exceed $8,150 per member ($16,300 per family). This amount will be adjusted annually to reflect the then current allowable maximum out-of pocket.
- For students in J status waiver eligible coverage meeting USG and U.S. Department
State regulatory minimum requirements must be submitted at the time of the immigration
check-in appointment. J visa holders must have the following minimum benefits:
- Medical Benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of Remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- A policy underwritten by an insurance carrier with:
- A.M. Best rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
- McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims paying Ability rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
- Weiss Research, Inc. rating of ‘‘B+’’ or above;
- Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
- Moody’s Investor Services rating of ‘‘A3’’ or above
- Plan is ACA compliant, meaning that the plan is an individual or group insurance plan meeting the requirements of ACA.
- Coverage is provided under an employer sponsored group plan that is ACA compliant as described above. In this case, it is likely that the insured may supplement the Health plan with separate Repatriation and Medical Evacuation coverage (as listed above).
- A plan provided to sponsored students (for example: Saudi Arabia Cultural Mission, Kuwait, etc.) that is backed by the full faith and credit of the student’s home country may be acceptable. The plans will be reviewed and a determination made regarding comparability to the USG Plan, and if determined to be comparable or better, will be accepted.
- A plan provided by a pre-approved United States Cultural Exchange Program; e.g., Fulbright Programs, etc.
The USG document defining the waiver criteria can be found here.
- Coverage includes effective dates spanning the entire period for which the waiver is requested.
Insurance Waiver Process
For students who wish to waive coverage, the process is as follows:
- Have your school ID number and current insurance information at hand.
- Visit https://StudentCenter.uhcsr.com/kennesaw.
- You will see two options. Click "Waive."
- Follow the on-screen prompts and answer the required questions.
When you complete the process, you will receive notification whether your waiver was accepted or denied. If denied, you’ll also get an email with instructions regarding the appeals process.
- Waivers will be reviewed by UnitedHealthcare, not the ISSSO.
- You will have to waive your health insurance every fall and spring semester, even if it is the same policy.
Please also review the International Student FAQ found on the USG website.
For any questions, please contact email@example.com.