Shelter in Place
During times of political unrest or widespread transmission of disease, travelers may find themselves in a situation where they have to remain where they are for a period of time. This is referred to as “sheltering in place.”
If you must shelter in place:
- Acquire safe food and water supplies to last you several days (ideally two weeks) in case of acute shortages.
- Keep copies of important documents, prescriptions and medications, cash, electronics and phone chargers handy in a “go bag” in case the situation improves and you are able to leave the vicinity.
- Connect with the embassy of your nationality. If you haven’t done so already, sign up for the U.S. Embassy’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive updates directly from the Embassy (you can sign up for STEP even if you are not a U.S. citizen).
- Monitor local news and reputable international outlets for updates.
- Add important numbers such as the KSU International Emergency Phone as well as local equivalents of 911 to your phone.
- Monitor updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Department of State.
Medical assistance while sheltering in place:
- If you are in need of mental health assistance, please contact the international insurance
provider, Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI), to locate mental health
providers. CISI can also connect you with remote mental health providers if there
is a lack of providers nearby or if you are limited in ability to connect with a provider
in-person. We encourage you to stay connected (by phone, chat, etc.) with your social
networks, including parents, family members and friends, to share how you’re feeling
and get support.
- CISI Contact Information
- (Toll free): 855-327-1419
- (Accepts collect calls): +1-630-694-9794 or Email: email@example.com
- If you need medical attention or do not have enough prescription medication to last until you are able to depart the country, contact CISI immediately to identify and locate a reputable local source for medical care. You can also look up medical providers using the International Provider Search tool by logging in to your “myCISI” account at https://www.culturalinsurance.com
In case of emergency, seek medical attention at the nearest hospital.