Before You Go
- If you can do without it, leave it at home. This is especially true in the instance of smart watches that may be dependent on other devices to get the full scope of use and have separate charging requirements.
- Back up your data and leave it in a secure location prior to departure.
- Use OneDrive for all data storage.
- Make sure your software is up to date, especially antivirus and antimalware software.
- Make sure your passwords are strong (unique, complex, random, as needed).
- Assume your credentials were compromised while you were abroad. Upon your return, reset all the passwords that you utilized while out of the country.
- Clear your browsing history.
- Return all borrowed/loaner equipment to the Help Desk.
Recommendations for Travelers
Specifically, if you are traveling to a country with a DOS Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution travel advisory or above, UITS recommends the following:
- Obtain a Duo Mobile key fob (https://uits.kennesaw.edu/duo/) - the UITS Service Desk will provide a key fob to use in lieu of a Duo push.
- Copy needed data to your KSU OneDrive share.
- Utilize the KSU Global Protect VPN software (https://uits.kennesaw.edu/vpn/index.php) installed on the laptop. Never sign in to public Wi-Fi and connect without using a VPN.
- Keep your devices with you at all times. Do not leave them in your hotel room, even in a safe, unattended. You should use this precaution, regardless of your travel destination.
Related Policy Links
Travelers should familiarize themselves with the following policies prior to travel. They are located at https://policy.kennesaw.edu:
- Data Security
- Computer Usage
- Intellectual Property