Students who are participating on any academic, co-curricular or research international experience are required to register their travel and enroll in the university’s supplemental international insurance policy with CISI. This includes any non-credit bearing or independent study abroad, registered student organization, athletics, field work, dissertation or thesis work, service learning, conference participation, international internships, directed studies and research abroad that is related to the academic field of study.
- Students participating on programs offered through the Education Abroad Office complete this requirement as part of their application process.
Choose your travel registration below:
- University-Sponsored Individual Travel
- For individual student travel that is funded through the university or that fulfills a degree requirement (e.g. dissertation research).
- Individual Travel
- For individual that travel may or may not receive external funding, is non-credit bearing and does not fulfill a degree requirement.
- Group International Travel
- Leaders of or individuals coordinating university-affiliated, non-credit bearing student group international travel are required to submit a Non-Credit Bearing Group International Travel Form in order to initiate the travel registration process for the group. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or with questions about this process.
Students traveling to high risk locations must complete a petition for travel to risk-designated locations. For more information on this process, please see Risk-Designated Travel.
Research conducted abroad is still subject to IRB approval where applicable. Please see the Office of Research for more information.
Students, faculty or staff planning to bring sensitive data or equipment with them abroad, or who will be traveling to a country with OFAC or ITAR restrictions need to work with University Information Technology Services to verify that their research and equipment complies with federal regulations. For more information, see IT Security and Protecting Research Data.
A laptop loaner program is available for travelers to risk-designated locations or countries with an increased cybersecurity profile who wish to leave their technology at home.
Registered Student Organizations
Student leaders who are planning a Registered Student Organization (RSO) group international travel experience must submit a single Non-Credit Bearing International Group Travel Form for their group travel. Submission of this form will key the creation of a travel registration portal for your group.
If the travel will be to a risk-designated location, the student leader must also submit a Group Petition for Travel to a Risk-Designated Location for the group.
All students participating in an RSO international travel experience are required to complete the travel registration for their participation as well as obtain the university’s student supplemental international insurance through CISI.
Athletic teams or university clubs who are planning a group international travel experience must submit a single Non-Credit Bearing International Group Travel Form for their group travel. Submission of this form will key the creation of a travel registration portal for your group.
If the travel will be to a risk-designated location, the team’s travel coordinator must also submit a Group Petition for Travel to a Risk-Designated Location for the group.
- All student athletes participating in an international travel experience are required to complete the travel registration for their participation.
- All student athletes and any accompanying faculty and staff must obtain the university’s student supplemental international insurance through CISI.
- Accompanying faculty and staff should attend a health and safety training for international program leaders.