About the SDG Academy
"Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs."
- Gro Harlem Brundtland, Former Prime Minister of Norway (1987)
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Academy is a Division of Global Affair’s initiative to educate the Kennesaw State University community about the Sustainable Development Goals in order to encourage action to better tackle local and global issues. Our page offers individuals seeking to be engaged in SDG events and activities around campus and in surrounding areas the opportunity to connect and stay updated on exciting happenings. There is also a myriad of resources on the Sustainable Development Goals and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development that is easily accessible through external sources. The Academy serves as a one-stop location to access those resources in addition to viewing events and useful information for any person in pursuit of enhancing their knowledge on the importance of the SDGs in our global effort to transform our world.
What are the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)?
The UN 2030 agenda, with the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at its core, is a guide to tackling the world’s most pressing challenges – including ending poverty and bringing economic prosperity, social inclusion, environmental sustainability and peace and good governance to all countries and all people by 2030.
The SDGs, adopted by 193 UN member states in 2015, are:
- A guide to tackling the world’s most pressing challenges – including ending poverty and bringing economic prosperity, social inclusion, environmental sustainability and peace and good governance to all countries and all people by 2030
- Pressure points that have the capability to affect the well-being of the entire planet and the people who live on it
- An ambitious plan of action requiring the concerted efforts of all segments of society including civil society, development practitioners, the private sector, and academia
- An ask to each one of us, in our personal capacities, to take bold and transformative steps which are urgently needed to shift the world onto a sustainable and resilient path
The SDGs inspire us to:
- Think creatively by leveraging innovative approaches
- Critically rethink the way we approach the development challenges of today
- Raise actionable & achievable advocacy and awareness efforts for the goals
- Mobilize crucial support for the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development
- Enhance substantive knowledge about the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development
The Sustainable Development Goals together represent a holistic approach to understanding and tackling problems in our community and around the world, by guiding us to ask the right questions at the right time.
SDG Programs & Activities
To learn more about how to get more engaged in SDG activities on Campus as well as learn abour current & upcoming traning/programs we are offering, please click the button below: